Monday, November 12, 2018

week 50! 6 months to sexy!

So 6 months till sexy is a phrase we use in the mission to describe the missionaries who are trying really hard to loose weight before they go home. I actually gained only 5 pounds since I left for the mission, I've tried pretty hard to stay stable, and all the walking helped. Now though, I decided that I won't but any sweets, fast food, or frozen meals and pizza. The only exceptions are when members feed us (it would be rude to refuse food) and major holidays like Christmas, Easter, and my birthday (Ben and Jerry's is way better than any birthday cake). I'm already mourning the loss of my weekly pizza but it's for the best....
So this Sunday was really special as it is remembrance Sunday! I think I've mentioned this before, but remembrance Sunday is to remember all the people who fought for England (especially the veterans from ww1 and ww2). In England they use the Poppy as a symbol of remembering those who died for us. People will buy paper Poppy pins (or nicer ones like tin) and wear them for the whole month of November. Also on the 11th of November there are several remembrance events where people gather around a memorial, have a moment of silence, read some scriptures from the Bible and poems, and sing the national anthem. It's super sacred and patriotic. Swinton Ward started by attending the local remembrance event and then we finished with sacrament meeting.
The funny stuff:
Me trying to explain talents: if the world was full of doctors, we would all starve to death because there was no farmers (they got the point)
Never wash lights with darks. When I was doing my laundry, I realized I missed a few whites so I put them with my last load of darks to save time. Now I have a black bra, a Grey slip, and a purple pair of garments. Are purple garments even allowed.??
Sister sawatdee got a leg cramp and didn't want to move her legs so of course I kicked them. I don't know how my companions haven't killed me yet, I'm stuck a jerk sometimes.
When we were in Eccles (40 minute bus ride from Swinton), I lost my bus pass. It had fallen out of my pocket some time before. We retraced our steps though and found it luckily. I felt weirdly apathetic about it though, even if it was gone forever, I had cash and I could get on other one and get it reimbursed.
Grandma wisdom that was kindly given to us: Use bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to get burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan. I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but she promised us many blessings of sparkly kitchen ware if we did this next time.
I decided to make seafood rice for breakfast on Saturday (why not?) sister sawatdee got really emotional over the rice (she was sooooo happy) (she misses Tai food really bad). Also I now know how to cook squid. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming talk

*Haley spoke in the Peachwood ward on Sunday June 23rd at 9am. Haley didn't type out a talk..she just wrote some bullet points down. I r...