Monday, November 5, 2018

Week 49! The most passive aggressive holiday ever!

So as you can see from the title, today is the most passive aggressive holiday ever in British history (as far as I know, my history knowledge is pretty limited right now). So today is called guy fox day and the holiday celebrates the failure of a terrorist. So this man named guy fox attempted to blow up parliament a while back. He failed (obviously) and if what I've been told is right; he was executed for his crimes. His failure became a holiday where the British people celebrate his death. They celebrate with parties, food, and loads of fireworks. Loads. There are fireworks every day leading up to this holiday. This is honestly the funniest thing I've seen in British culture so far.
Also because guy fox day is on our pday, we basically get the whole day off (we're spending our non pday hours doing a deep clean of the flat, but hey, can't complain). This week was a bit rough finding wise, we've been doing loads of street contacting and a street display but no results. We are also trying by all the people in our records to see if anyone is still interested. Things seem a bit rough right now, but I know that as we stay diligent and don't give up, the Lord will bless us!
Diligence is actually what I wanted to is talk about today. So I'm sure everyone is familiar with Mosiah 4:27 "a man should not run faster then he has strength" but we need to remember the second part of the verse : "And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." The Lord knows what we are capable of and we ARE very capable of being diligent. This is a lesson that I've had to learn dozens of times, and one that I am still learning. To be diligent isn't to make new goals every day, or to talk big about the doctrine you know. Being diligent means keeping your promises and Living what you preach. The strongest people in history and the scriptures where always the most diligent. One of the best examples is Nephi. Now one of Nephi's most famous sayings is "I will go and do the things the Lord commands". I'm pretty sure this is quoted in almost every single general conference, and is one of the most well known verses of the book of Mormon, but what if Nephi didn't actually go and do what the Lord commanded? If he hadn't backed up his words with his diligence in keeping his commandments, this quote would have never impacted so many people's lives. It would have been another empty promise. We can say all we want to people, but it is our diligence in keeping the commandments and holding our standards that stand out. I promise that as everyone makes that effort to diligently keep the promises they made to the Lord and to others, they will "win the prize" 
The funny stuff:
Language barrier moment 352: sister sawatdee couldn't remember the word for vetinarian and asked if I ever wanted to be a vegetarian. I was really confused bc I thought we were talking about dogs
The numb feeling strikes again. I used to be terrified of shots but now when I went to take my flu jab I didn't even consider the pain or fear, talking at a zone conference scares me more than some needle. It's the same for crossing the street. I'm always like "I've talked to jehovahs witnesses and born agains simultaneously, nothing you do can hurt me". (don't worry, I still cross the street safely)
I have had a couple of close calls crossing the street, and they're always in one way roads because I still look at the wrong side of the road occasionally. (sorry ya'll, I'm American!)
Easy to please people are the best, seriously. Sister sawatdee will make me feel like I blessed every ancestor and descendant that she'll have whenever I buy her an ice cream
A member gave sister sawatdee and I matching beanies with two pompoms on then. (if you ever read this, thank you Helen!! We love you!) the beanies kinda make it look like you have round ears though, so sister sawatdee is always calling me hamster now. During district night too, everyone was giving each other animals and they all said I was a hamster too. (short, grumpy, and really greedy about food) (sounds about right)
A member gave us some perfume samples. I, like the clumsy Valley girl I am, promptly proceed to spill a bunch of it on my hand. At least I smell posh now.
Sister sawatdee and I were looking for a scripture to send to our friend, and we both got the same scripture. We're were both all :"whelp, the spirit has decided"
This isn't funny but it is an English culture fact: every November, england dedicates to their veterans, especially the ones who served in ww1 and ww2. There's a specific remembrance Sunday and everyone wears a red Poppy pin on thier coats or hats. They use the Poppy because during ww1 after all the bombs, before the green plants started popping up, red poppies were the first thing to grow again.
Both the Chorley flat and the Swinton flat have two little tubs of play dough. I'm certain that they were left there by the same sister. Now I just have to figure out which one.
Apparently in Thailand, their curse word for women is rhino. If you call a lady a rhino in Thailand it's super offensive. I think it's the funniest thing ever 






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming talk

*Haley spoke in the Peachwood ward on Sunday June 23rd at 9am. Haley didn't type out a talk..she just wrote some bullet points down. I r...