Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Week 51! Goodbye Sister Sawatdee!

So we got the call for transfers and I am staying (duh), sister sawatdee is leaving to go home (also duh) and the new companion is sister Tavares from Brazil. All I know about her so far is that she's funny and likes spicy food, so she must be a pretty decent person.
As for this week, not much happened, just lots of finding. There has been a change in the European missions though. So we have what's called key indicators each week. They're basically our goals for the week, for ex: how many new investigators we'll find or how many people we'll have at church. Well now we have 2 more key indicators: how many returning members we meet with, and how many of them came to church. The missionaries in Europe are really getting involved in reactivation and strengthening the wards. Teaching and Baptizing means nothing if you don't stay in church. This is more than a one time experience, this determines your eternity! 
So the spiritual thought for today is based on a general conference talk from October 1983 called The Word is Commitment (please read it, it's so good). There was a quote in the talk that really stuck out to me: "true happiness is not getting something but becoming something". You can't find happiness through getting a free ride in life. We need trials and growth in order to understand happiness. In the book of mormon it says "Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy" and it also says "And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin." (2nd Nephi 2). Adam and eve would not have been able to understand true joy unless they felt pain, and it's the same with us. We will never understand true happiness and fulfillment unless we had to work for it.
The funny stuff:
I saw a drunk dude in McDonald's fall down the stairs twice. Going up. 
On the bus these two old men were chatting and when it was their stop and they both got up; one of them turned to me, winked, and said "night darlin". Unexpected yet entertaining. It made me laugh all the way home.
When we were tracting, we knocked on the door of a man, introduced ourselves and showed the book of Mormon. Then he was all like 'wait!' and he came back with his own copy of the book of Mormon and was all like "I'm reading that right now"! Anyways that was the most amazing thing that happened to me while tracting, and we have a new friend.
Man, English is frustrating sometimes. I had to spend like 15 minutes trying to explain the billions of uses of the word 'deal' to sister sawatdee. For example: I just don't want to deal with having to deal out a great deal of all these examples of how you can make deals with people. 
Sister sawatdee has a little book called missionary reminders, and some of the reminders are hilarious! Some of my favorites are: 32. Stargaze out the holes in your apartment ceiling 49. Cook bacon weekly just for the smell of it 90. When a big dog chases you, remember you only have to outrun your companion, not the dog  and 348. Sisters shouldn't laugh at elders when they say their girlfriends are waiting for them.
I forgot to mention this last week, but Helen was called as a ward missionary last Sunday and when they announced it in sacrament, she was sooo excited. As the English would say: she was buzzing. I love that lady 😍😍❤❤
I asked sister sawatdee to set a timer for 10 minutes while I was cooking seafood so I could make sure it was cooked through. After a while I was wondering why it took so long. She set the timer for 10 hours.
I got the privilege of seeing a drunk man have an argument with his own reflection in the bus window. It's small moments like these that remind me of why I went on a mission.

Lots of pictures this week! 





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming talk

*Haley spoke in the Peachwood ward on Sunday June 23rd at 9am. Haley didn't type out a talk..she just wrote some bullet points down. I r...