Monday, December 31, 2018

Week 57! Trousers apparently!

So sisters are now allowed to wear trousers! And I have no shirts! So guess who has to get extra stuff! (me) (if you didn't guess already) I'm actually really excited about this! All the sisters are. I've had to ask help from the others about styles and how to wear them, but all is well. The mission gave a small allowance to all of us to get a few pairs each. I already got a navy blue and a maroon pair, but I plan to get Grey and black with what I have left. (the secret is charity shops) (they're the best) other than that, no life hanging news in the mission as far as I know. Transfers are this week, but I won't be getting my transfer call until Tuesday evening, so when ya'll hear from me next, I may or may not be moved.
For this week's spiritual thought, I wanted to talk about new years goals... (jk) (that's too stereotypical). What I actually wanted to talk about is commitment. There's a quote by Marvin J Ashton, and he says :'True happiness is not made in getting something. True happiness is becoming something. This can be done by being committed to lofty goals. We cannot become something without commitment.' Every successful person in history didn't become successful from talent or luck or even random miracles. They were committed to their cause and desired it with every fiber of their being. Take Martin Luther King junior for example: the thing he wanted the most was equality for all people of all colors and he was willing to SACRIFICE for it. He didn't start out as a super influential person, and everyone believed that his goal was impossible. He never let that stop him though. Another example is ammon and his brothers. Their goal was to bring the gospel to the lamanites. Everyone at the time thought it was impossible, but that didn't stop them! They knew what the lord wanted them to do, and they knew what would make them truly happy. We all know what can make us truly happy, but we have to be committed to it in order to gain that happiness. A daydream can't bring you joy, but action can. 
The funny stuff:
When we were shopping at Piccadilly, another set of sisters spotted us and one of them came and tackle hugged sister Tavares from behind. She did it so fast that I almost punched her in the face because I thought she was a creeper (not unusual in Manchester)
A squirrel popped out of a trashcan and scared me really bad (vermin)
Apparently kinder eggs are legal in Brazil but not in America? They're like the best thing ever, and the toys are huge. A law only becomes a law for two reasons: either someone did something dumb to make it a law, or some American companies don't like the kinder company (it's probably the second reason, money is almost always the answer in these cases)
Sister Tavares wants me to draw a squirrel warning sign for the trashcans (it was the ones at the back of the flat building (apartments)
Brazilian wisdom: wrap a pineapple in newspaper and it'll ripen faster. (it works on mangos too)
When I was on exchange with sister viteri (from Argentina) she kept on asking about politics and I would get so worked up. (don't talk to me about politics, I'll go on for hours) and we both had a lot of fun. I was super tired from getting angry multiple times during day afterwards though. (she would get me really worked up)
Sister Tavares and I found a really neat park in Worsley where there was a lot of people (good finding) and as we were walking down the park, we saw and got to feed some cows! Their tongues are really long.
We also took the long way around the park and the paths were really really muddy. Luckily we both were wearing our wellies. Unluckily (for sister Tavares) she was wearing her super posh looking coat (it was left behind by another sister). Sister Tavares also has no sense of balance. Plus her wellies are a lot shorter than mine too. It was really funny watching her freak out every time the mud reached farther than like 2 inches
While I was in Piccadilly today, a street performer was singing, and another street performer was dressed up as Deadpool and was dancing. Best thing Ive ever seen.
Pictures- Some pics from the Christmas party. Traffic. Sister Tavares took that while I was watching the Bible video.
We were running this morning and found a park with a zip line. 
Some really lit street art and a pretty church.
We were walking in this park with a canal and found cows and fed them! 
The park also had a fun rope thing.. Some members just got back from the Philippines and gave us candy from there. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming talk

*Haley spoke in the Peachwood ward on Sunday June 23rd at 9am. Haley didn't type out a talk..she just wrote some bullet points down. I r...